In the framework of EXPO Milano 2015 and of the European Year for Development, and as part of the celebrations of a special 'Agricultural biodiversity, value chains and women’s empowerment' event taking place on the 17th of September 2015 at Palazzo Castiglioni, Milan, Bioversity International and partners invite you to participate in a photo contest to celebrate women feeding the world through agricultural biodiversity.
195 photos were submitted to our photo contest and 20 images with the highest amount of likes were judged by a jury. Meet the three winners who were announced on September 17, 2015 at the 'Agricultural biodiversity, value chains and women’s empowerment' event.
Did you enjoy taking part in our photo contest? Tweet using #BioWomen!
Take a photo of a woman farming, your mother proudly displaying her latest dish, or an inspiring woman that is doing agricultural research in the field.
Tell us her story: is she cooking a traditional dish? Is she bringing products to the market and feeding her family with the income she earns from there? How is she contributing to the community and the landscape she is a part of? How is she dealing with climate change or what have you learned from her that you are going to pass on to your children and community?
The contest is open to everyone.
Applications must be submitted using the form below and must include:
- The online link to ONE original photo taken by yourself, on which you own all rights.
- We only want the URL of the image at this stage. Use a free online service like Flickr, ImageShack or Dropbox to share it with us.
- Images can be created with any device, including smartphones.
- Format should be TIFF, JPG or PNG with a minimum accepted dimension of 2 Megapixels (preferably 300 dpi, min. resolution: 1600 x 1200 pixels).
- Both color and monochrome images are eligible.
- Minor retouching of images through photo editing software is accepted as long as you do not alter the contents of the photo in any way.
- Your image should not promote or include the logo of a specific brand, nor contain offensive or pornographic content.
- A short caption describing the story behind the photo (in English, max. 500 characters, including spaces).
- How did you come across this scene? Who is this woman? What does she do? What is her link with that particular environment or food? This space may also be used to provide a traditional recipe related to the picture.
- The completed registration form (below) – which includes your personal data, authorization for data processing and acceptance of the contest’s overall terms and conditions. Entries from photographers under 18 years of age will need permission from their parent or guardian.
DEADLINE: 22nd July 2015 at 12:00 noon (Central European Time - CET).
IMPORTANT: Only ONE single submission is allowed per participant. Subsequent emails, incomplete applications and late submissions will not be considered.
Photo stories will be posted, shared and subject to public voting via an album on Bioversity International’s Facebook page with your full name, as well as the photo description provided in the registration form.
The best 20 photo stories – the ones which receive the highest number of 'Likes' by the 7th of August 2015 at 12:00 noon (CET), will proceed to jury review. In case of a tie vote, the entry published on Facebook at a later date will be given priority, since it has had less time to be viewed, shared and voted on.
A jury consisting of representatives from Bioversity International and each of its partners will then select THREE winning photo stories based on quality, relevance to the topic and ability to convey a clear message.
The three winners will be announced on the 17th September 2015 at the 'Agricultural biodiversity, value chains and women’s empowerment' event, as well as on Bioversity International’s website and social media channels.
Winners will be notified by e-mail and receive a digital SLR photo camera (commercial value 400 EUR each) in recognition of their artistic intellectual contribution and compelling story.
I hereby declare to be the sole author of the photo and story submitted. Additionally, I warrant that I hold all legal rights necessary to grant such license and that I have obtained permission from any individuals that appear in any photograph included in the submission, or from their legal guardian if the individuals are under 18 years of age.
I accept that the photo and story submitted will be licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. This means that everybody will be free to use my photo as long as they attribute myself as the photographer, do not use it for commercial purposes, and indicate any changes made if the material is modified.
By participating in this competition, I grant Bioversity International and its partners, as well as other persons and entities, an irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, worldwide license to use – at their discretion – my submission or any component thereof. This includes using, publishing, displaying and redistributing these materials through videos, print and online for scientific, educational and cultural purposes without notice, following the terms of the Creative Commons license stated above.
I agree to compensate Bioversity International and its partners for any losses that arise in respect to any claim made by a third party concerning a violation of their intellectual property rights in connection with the use of the submission. I hereby release and discharge Bioversity International and its partners from any claims on copyright violation, libel and invasion of privacy. Any eventual controversy deriving or encountered because of this contest is exclusively the competency of the court of Rome.
Personal data will be stored and used only for the purpose of the contest and attribution.
Winners who do not respond to e-mail notification within 30 days will lose their right to claim the prize, which will be awarded to the author of the next best photo.
By submitting my entry, I have read and fully understand the terms and conditions above. I authorize the submission of the photograph and story to the Women and Agricultural Biodiversity Photo Contest.